Spicy egg fried rice is a delicious and easy dish that you can make with leftover rice and some simple ingredients. It is a great way to use up any veggies you have in your fridge, and it has a nice kick of heat from the chili. In this article, we will show you how to make spicy egg fried rice at home, with some tips and variations to suit your taste.
To make spicy egg fried rice, you will need the following ingredients:
- 250g/9oz quick-cook white rice
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 broccoli head, cut into small florets, stalk peeled and chopped into strips
- 250g/9oz frozen peas
- 3 carrots, sliced into ribbons with a peeler
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ tsp crushed chilies, or to taste
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Oil for frying
You can also add any other vegetables you like, such as corn, mushrooms, green beans, etc. You can also use brown rice or basmati rice instead of white rice if you prefer.
To make spicy egg fried rice, follow these steps:
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water until it runs clear then place it into a large, lidded saucepan. Cover with enough boiling water to rise about 1 inch above the top of the rice. Place the lid on tight and bring it to a boil over high heat. Turn the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes and then turn the heat off. Leave the lid on until the grains are cooked then spread out on a baking tray and refrigerate until cold. This will help the rice to be fluffy and not sticky when you fry it.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat a wok or a large frying pan over high heat and add some oil. Pour in the egg mixture and scramble it until cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat some more oil in the same wok or pan over high heat and add the broccoli, peas, carrots, and garlic—Stir-fry for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the rice and toss gently to combine with the vegetables. Sprinkle over the crushed chilies and soy sauce and stir-fry for another 5 minutes, or until the rice is hot and slightly charred on some edges.
- Add the scrambled eggs and spring onion and toss to mix well. Serve hot or cold, with some extra soy sauce if desired.
Tips and Variations
Here are some tips and variations to make your spicy egg fried rice even better:
- To make your egg fried rice more colorful and flavorful, you can add some turmeric and paprika to the eggs before scrambling them. This will give them a vibrant yellow color and a smoky taste.
- To make your egg fried rice more protein-rich, you can add some cooked chicken, shrimp, pork, or tofu to the dish. Just chop them into bite-sized pieces and stir-fry them with the vegetables before adding the rice.
- To make your egg-fried rice spicier, add some fresh or dried red chilies, chili flakes, chili oil, or sriracha sauce to the dish. Adjust the amount according to your preference.
- To make your egg-fried rice more aromatic, you can add some fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, or mint to the dish. Chop them finely and sprinkle them over the rice before serving.
How to Serve Spicy Egg Fried Rice
Spicy egg fried rice can be eaten by itself or as an accompaniment to another dish. Some of the dishes that go well with spicy egg-fried rice are:
- Spicy chicken wings: Crispy chicken wings coated with a sticky and spicy sauce made from honey, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Salt and pepper chicken: Tender chicken pieces coated with cornstarch and deep-fried until golden and crispy. Then tossed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, sugar, green onion, and chili.
- Stir-fried vegetables: A simple and healthy dish of mixed vegetables stir-fried with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch slurry.
History of Spicy Egg Fried Rice
Spicy egg fried rice originated in China during the Sui dynasty (A.D. 589–618), where it was known as chǎofàn (炒饭). It was a way of using up leftover rice and other ingredients by stir-frying them together. Since then, fried rice has spread to many other regions and countries, where it has been adapted to suit local tastes and preferences.
Some of the most popular varieties of fried rice are:
- Nasi goreng: Indonesian/Malay fried rice that is seasoned with sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), shrimp paste (terasi), garlic, shallot, chili, tamarind juice, and sometimes meat or seafood.
- Khao pad: Thai fried rice that is flavored with fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic, chili, and basil leaves, and often topped with a fried egg.
- Bokkeum-bap: Korean fried rice that is mixed with kimchi (fermented cabbage), gochujang (red pepper paste), sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, green onion, and usually meat or seafood.
- Chāhan: Japanese fried rice that is cooked with eggs, green peas, carrots, onion, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and sometimes meat or seafood.
Here are some frequently asked questions about spicy egg fried rice:
What is spicy egg fried rice?
Spicy egg fried rice is a dish of cooked rice that has been stir-fried with eggs, vegetables, and seasonings, such as chili, soy sauce, and sesame oil. It is a popular dish in many Asian cuisines, especially Chinese, Thai, and Indonesian.
How to make spicy egg fried rice?
To make spicy egg fried rice, you will need cooked rice, eggs, oil, butter, garlic, onion, carrot, peas, spring onion, red chili, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and mirin. You can also add any other vegetables or protein you like. The basic steps are:
- Beat the eggs with salt and chilli powder and scramble them in a wok or a large frying pan with oil. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same wok or pan, melt the butter and fry the onion until golden brown. Add the curry powder and salt with a splash of water and cook until the water evaporates.
- Add the rice and toss to combine with the onion mixture. Sprinkle over the crushed chilies and soy sauce and stir-fry until the rice is hot and slightly charred.
- Add the scrambled eggs and spring onion and toss to mix well.
- Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, sweet chili sauce, and mirin.
- How to store and reheat spicy egg-fried rice?
You can store leftover spicy egg fried rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat it, you can either microwave it for a few minutes or stir-fry it in a wok or a pan over high heat until hot.
So in This Post, How To Make Spicy Egg Fried Rice At Home What other points can you think of/have experienced? Let me know in the comments.
If you found this helpful feel free to share your experience if you can relate to these points and if you are comfortable to share
For More Articles Related to Spicy Egg Fried Rice Browns tune in to our Site: Everyday Cooking Recipes