The Best Sugar Cookies: How to Make Them, Decorate Them, and Enjoy Them
Sugar cookies are one of the most popular and versatile cookies in the world. They are simple to make, easy to decorate, and delicious to eat. Whether you want to make them for a special occasion, a holiday, or just for fun, sugar cookies are a great choice. In this article, we will show you how to make the best sugar cookies, how to decorate them with icing and sprinkles, and how to enjoy them with your family and friends.
How to Make the Best Sugar Cookies
The best sugar cookies are soft, chewy, and buttery, with a hint of vanilla flavor. They are not too sweet, not too bland, and not too dry. To make the best sugar cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3/4 cup (170 g) of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 g) of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups (280 g) of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
You will also need some tools and equipment, such as:
- A large mixing bowl
- An electric mixer or a wooden spoon
- A small bowl
- A whisk or a fork
- A rolling pin
- Cookie cutters of your choice
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- A wire rack
- A spatula
Steps For Make the Best Sugar Cookies
To make the best sugar cookies, follow these steps:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer or a wooden spoon until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat well until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk or a fork.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until a soft dough forms. Do not overmix the dough or it will become tough and dry.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape them into discs. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days. This will help the dough to chill and firm up, making it easier to roll and cut.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of dough to about 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thick. Use cookie cutters of your choice to cut out shapes and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them. You can re-roll the scraps of dough and cut out more shapes until you use up all the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Do not overbake the cookies or they will become hard and crispy.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining disc of dough.
How to Decorate the Best Sugar Cookies
The best sugar cookies are even better when they are decorated with icing and sprinkles. You can use any colors and designs you like, depending on the occasion, the theme, or your personal preference. To decorate the best sugar cookies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups (240 g) of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Food coloring of your choice
- Sprinkles of your choice
You will also need some tools and equipment, such as:
- A small mixing bowl
- A whisk or a fork
- A piping bag or a ziplock bag
- A small round tip or a scissors
- A toothpick or a skewer
To decorate the best sugar cookies, follow these steps:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract with a whisk or a fork until smooth and glossy. You can adjust the consistency of the icing by adding more milk or more powdered sugar as needed. The icing should be thick enough to hold its shape, but thin enough to flow easily.
- Divide the icing into separate bowls and add the food coloring of your choice to each bowl. Mix well until the desired color is achieved. You can use as many colors as you like, depending on the design you want to make.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag or a ziplock bag and snip off a small corner or attach a small round tip. You can use different bags and tips for different colors and designs.
- Pipe the icing onto the cooled cookies, following the outline of the shape or creating your own pattern. You can use a toothpick or a skewer to smooth out the icing or create swirls and dots. You can also use the icing to glue on sprinkles or other decorations of your choice.
- Let the icing dry completely before storing or serving the cookies. This may take several hours or overnight, depending on the humidity and temperature of your environment.
How to Enjoy the Best Sugar Cookies
The best sugar cookies are ready to enjoy when they are decorated and dried. You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can also share them with your family and friends, or give them as gifts for any occasion. The best sugar cookies are perfect for:
- Celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, weddings, baby showers, and other milestones
- Decorating for holidays, such as Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Valentine’s Day, and more
- Having fun with kids, who can help with making, cutting, and decorating the cookies
- Enjoying a cup of tea, coffee, milk, or hot chocolate
- Satisfying your sweet tooth and craving for a delicious treat
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about the best sugar cookies:
Can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter?
Yes, you can use salted butter, but you should reduce the amount of salt in the recipe by 1/4 teaspoon.
Can I use a different type of sugar instead of granulated sugar?
Yes, you can use brown sugar, coconut sugar, or any other type of sugar, but the texture and flavor of the cookies may vary slightly.
Can I use a different type of flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour, or any other type of flour, but the texture and flavor of the cookies may vary slightly.
Can I use a different type of extract instead of vanilla extract?
Yes, you can use almond extract, lemon extract, or any other type of extract, but the flavor of the cookies may vary slightly.
Can I use a different type of milk instead of cow’s milk?
Yes, you can use almond milk, soy milk, or any other type of milk, but the consistency and flavor of the icing may vary slightly.
Can I use a different type of food coloring instead of liquid food coloring?
Yes, you can use gel food coloring, powder food coloring, or natural food coloring, but the color and intensity of the icing may vary slightly.
Can I use a different type of sprinkles instead of sugar sprinkles?
Yes, you can use chocolate sprinkles, candy sprinkles, or any other type of sprinkles, but the appearance and taste of the cookies may vary slightly.
How can I make the best sugar cookies vegan?
To make the best sugar cookies vegan, you can use vegan butter, a flax egg, and plant-based milk instead of the dairy products and eggs in the recipe.
How can I make the best sugar cookies gluten-free?
To make the best sugar cookies gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour and gluten-free baking powder instead of the regular ones in the recipe.
How can I make the best sugar cookies keto-friendly?
To make the best sugar cookies keto-friendly, you can use almond flour, erythritol, and keto-friendly milk instead of the regular ones in the recipe.
So in This Post, The Best Sugar Cookies What other points can you think of/have experienced? Let me know in the comments.
If you found this helpful feel free to share your experience if you can relate to these points and if you are comfortable to share
For More Articles Related to Sugar Cookies tune in to our Site: Everyday Cooking Recipes